What? Debate Club is a fun way for students to hone critical thinking and public speaking skills during the school year. Students are placed in labs with other debaters at their same age and experience level where they practice debate skills and prep cases on current, politically relevant topics. Each session concludes with personal reflection and a fun tournament.
Who? Students in 3rd-11th grade
When? Sunday mornings from 9:30-11:30 during the school year
WINTER SESSION (8 weeks)
February 19 (President’s Day)–No Debate Club
March 5–Tournament #3
SPRING SESSION (8 weeks)
April 9 (Easter)–No Debate Club
May 7–Tournament #4
May 14 (Mother’s Day)–No Debate Club
May 21–Final Session
Winter & Spring Combo (earlybird): $939
Winter & Spring Combo: $999
Winter Only (earlybird): $499
Winter Only: $549
*All proceeds from Debate Club goes toward our debate programs in Title 1 schools across the city. We hire Debate Club staff based on registration numbers. For these reasons, we cannot offer refunds once tuition has been paid. Thank you for your understanding, and your contribution to our mission!
Why Debate Club?
- Practice Public Speaking Skills in a fun environment. The #1 fear in America is public speaking! Public Speaking is essential for school, college, career, and community.
- College Preparedness. Study after study shows debate increases every academic skill (reading, writing, researching, critical thinking, listening) and strengthens performance in every academic Subject (current events, philosophy, civics, political science, economics). Click here to learn more about the academic benefits of debate.
- Build Leadership Skills. “Maybe you could be a mayor or a senator or a Supreme Court justice, but you might not know that until you join the debate team.” – President Barack Obama. Click here to learn more about debaters throughout history.
- 21st Century Skills. “Competitive debate is one of the great equalizers of educational opportunity. In a number of respects, competitive urban debate is almost uniquely suited to building what’s been called the ‘Four C’s’ of 21st century skills—Critical thinking, Communication, Collaboration and Creativity. And to that list, I will add a fifth ‘C’— for Civic awareness and engagement.” – US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, honoring our debaters in Washington D.C.
- Fun! Participate in fun, competitive, educational debate rounds every month!
- Community. The NYC Urban Debate League is like no other debate league in the nation. We build an incredible vertical community of adult debaters, alumni debaters, college debaters, high school debaters and middle school debaters who all work together. Learn more. Hear from parents how we build an incredible community for students.
- Year Round Opportunities. In addition to our fall, winter, and spring Debate Club sessions, we also offer Summer Debate Programs. Learn more.