We create equitable access to academic debate opportunities with a focus on students of color and students from other historically underserved communities in New York City to empower the next generation of diverse, informed, and courageous leaders.
About the UDL
The NYCUDL is a nonprofit that exists to support the growth and development of competitive debate programs in the greater New York City area, with priority emphasis given to schools with a large percentage of students of color and low-resourced students. To support debate in the greater New York City area, the NYCUDL provides instructional support for students and coaches, operates more than 25 debate tournaments, and runs at least 4 weeks of summer debate camp. The NYCUDL operates 4 closed leagues (NYCDOE District 7, District 9, District 16, the Middle School Quality Initiative (MSQI)) and an Open League. Currently, the League has more than 130+ member schools and supports close to 3,000 students.
The New York City Urban Debate League is hiring for four new positions for the upcoming academic year.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest along with three references and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . All inquiries are confidential.
People of color, women and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The NYCUDL is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. The NYCUDL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
• Work with individual schools and specific districts and programs within the NYC Department of Education to develop Public Forum debate programs. Each of the programs serve 200-500 students and 10-30 schools. This includes in-person/virtual site visits to meet with teachers and community coaches to provide onboarding and training
• Communicate with school leadership, including Principals and Assistant Principals to create and build support for academic debate, provide updates, and to manage coaches
• Develop and adapt curriculum and lesson plans appropriate to the students and teachers in your program
• Create scaffolded materials for each topic
• Serve in the role of Tournament Director, including pre-tournament preparation and on-site tournament event management (average 2 weekends a month from October – June)
• Support at least 2 two-week summer debate institutes
• Gather data in a responsible manner and assist in tracking and reporting data
• Update rosters/spreadsheets tracking student and coach participation
• Other duties as assigned
• Direct report to the Co-Executive Directors
• Responsible for communications with our constituents
• Work with all staff to maintain and update the website (WordPress), social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and the newsletter
• Work with City Council and government agencies to secure funding
• Work with NYCUDL Development contractors to provide needed support for grants and other fundraising; support an annual fundraiser
• Maintain fundraising software
• Responsible for recruitment and management of volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
• Direct Report to the Co-Executive Directors
• Act as a point of contact among management, board members, employees, clients and external partners
• Manage information flow in a timely and accurate manner
• Manage Co-Executive Directors calendars and set up meetings
• Make travel and accommodation arrangements
• Track daily expenses and prepare reports
• Assist in overseeing the coordination of other staff
• Format information for internal and external communication – memos, emails, presentations, reports
• Record meeting discussions and provide minutes
• Screen and direct phone calls and correspondence
• Support record maintenance
• Prepare reports, collect and analyze information; prepare presentations
• Develop and utilize historical information
• Interact with constituents when appropriate and problem solve
• Document complaints and develop an appropriate course of action
• Help keep the staff organized and on a task management system
• Streamline communications and help bring efficiency to the Co-Executive Director’s roles
• Assist the Co-Executive Directors as needed